Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Extended Definition

Home: 

By definition, the meaning of home is, “The place where one lives permanently, esp. as a 
member of a family or household,” according to the New Oxford American Dictionary. The 
origin of the word “home” is Germanic, and comes from the German word “hiem.” The base of 
the formal definition is true, being that a home is indeed where someone lives. However, a home is not always permanent, and the idea of a home varies from person to person. 

In other words, having a place of residence can constitute as having a home in the physical 
sense. What this dictionary definition does not consider is the fact that many people prefer to 
have an emotional connection and established memories in their place of residence before 
they call it “home.” The word “home” can be classified as a place of residence, or just a place 
where someone sleeps and keeps all their belongings, however, the meaning behind the word 
goes more in depth. Most people won’t consider a place home unless it’s filled with memories, 
family, has a specific location, etc. 
When we break down the word “home”, we can see that the basic definition given is accurate, 
but also very broad. The definition tells us everything that is physically true about a home: it’s 
a place of resident, and more specifically, is usually a house, apartment, etc. As I said before, what makes a home is up to the person, and normally, home is a place where people feel 
comforted, and have a connection to. 
The expression “home is where the heart is” is a good way to demonstrate how people make 
emotional ties to the places they live in, and choose to call “home.”





This is what I have so far, it's very rough, but the main ideas are here for the most part. In later sections, I will discuss my personal experience with the idea behind a the true meaning of home, in my opinion. I will also compare and contrast the word while utilizing my experiences. Describing what makes a home will include some of my opinion, but I can discuss what might make others feel at home too. 

I can use all the help I can get so feel free! Thanks. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah - this comes together much better than what was on your worksheet. I can get a better sense as to where you are headed with this. Can any place be a home than? A workplace/setting? Does it have to be a structure where one resides? Flesh some of this out a bit better, but you good stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this a lot so far. Maybe you can say what doesn't make a home a home. Like how someone can feel not at home someplace. or why they don't have a place to call home.

    Don't say "as I said before".

    Say what makes a place home? Having a loved one there? Or can it be a loved one? I always feel at home whenever I'm with Charlie, no matter where we're at. That's an idea.

    ReplyDelete