Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reflection on Annie Dillards' Write 'Till You Drop

For someone who considers them self an admirer of both art and literature, I appreciate Annie Dillards' essay. As a student I believe it's essential to preserve creativity especially when writing in the midst of being told what and how to write. Dillards' encouragement to write more often about topics that interest the individual is in fact very refreshing.

Many times I wanted to record certain experiences that were a part of my life even if they didn't seem interesting. I later stopped myself many times as well because I was convinced they were unworthy thoughts. A combination of this, and becoming accustomed to academic writing has left me with little time and interest for leisure writing.

However, I am also a person easily inspired by a few good words. With that being said, it is no surprise that I found myself so intently soaking up every bit of writing advice Dillard had to offer. I welcome the challenge to throw myself into even the smallest piece of material, and to not always save the best for last. So, after reading this essay I'm confident that I'm not alone when I say thank you, Annie Dillard. Thank you for effortlessly restoring my optimism for the idea of imaginative, nonjudgemental writing.

1 comment:

  1. Dillard does have a way of wrapping it up in nice package for us in her article doesn't she? When you really start looking at how she says it, however, the ideas don't come across as clearly. Does that matter? I like her essay though because of the way it gets readers to start thinking about writing for a real purpose.

    ReplyDelete