Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Walcott Poem

I don't find this poem to be too much of a representation of Oscar, but I can see how both characters relate. In my opinion, Diaz could be providing the reader with an image of a person who has been around in his life, is educated, virtuous in his own ways, and has flaws like any other individual. Oscar seems to be the type of person who will do well in his academics possibly because he is ignored due to his many physical flaws that the people surrounding him aren't willing to look over. Like the character in the poem, Oscar also comes from a unique background that adds to his distinct personality. The person in the poem is also quite honest in the way he describes himself. Diaz is very blunt as well in how he chooses to characterize Oscar. He portrays Oscar as basically a fat sci-fi nerd with terrible acne, and as a result, is a complete social outcast. 


The last part of the poem is what says the most to me. Walcott writes "I have Dutch, nigger, and English in me, and either I'm nobody or I'm a nation."


My interpretation is probably wrong, but this tells me that Diaz's character represents a person we all know. The everyday type of person who has unfortunately been cursed, and therefore has to deal with the life he's been given. He could remain a loser/ "nobody", or ultimately might be able to make something of himself. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. You pick up on some good correlations to the book. I don't think Oscar has the backbone that the narrator of this poem has either.

    ReplyDelete